Sunday 19 January 2014

Fiz, Innis & Gunn

A short update today. I've just come back from a couple of days in Birmingham but I'm saving my report on the pubs I visited there for next week. This has left me with not much to write about for this update as nothing else really happened to me beer or pub wise. The only thing of any note was that I tried an Innis & Gun Rum Cask for the first time. This was my first ever Innis & Gunn beer and I wasn't really sure what to expect. I always got the impression they were more style over substance like another successful Scottish brewer, and I tend to pick other beers over theirs when I see it on sale. Howeve once again my prejudices were proved wrong and it was a pretty decent beer. I've got a soft spot for rummy beers, my favourite being Boggart Rum Porter. Innis and Gunn's effort wasn't quite as good but it was a comforting, strong ale with the rum complementing the beer pretty well by being noticeable but not overpowering. Good stuff and worth a sup.

Another reason for the short update is because I've been neglecting my blogging duties and have spent most of the week being hopelessly addicted to a mobile phone game called "Fiz." The aim of the game is to build up a brewery from your humble beginnings making beer in your garage (or "car hole" if you're not posh) to becoming a international brewing superstar. It's easy to pick up and plenty of challenges are thrown at you to keep things interesting. It's got a knowing sense of humour with a few digs at the characters you come across in the beer scene including picky beer festival goers who think they know everything about your brew and the ever growing number of craft beer loving hipsters. It's more addictive than a tub of Ben & Jerry's laced with cocaine and well worth the £1.99 price tag.

Hope you can join me next week for my ramblings about Birmingham and its pubs!

No comments:

Post a Comment